The Northborough Community Garden opened in 2010. The Garden was funded through the Metro West grant and the Recreation Dept is very excited about this new venture.
There are many benefits to having a community garden. Here are just a few:
- Provide a catalyst for neighborhood and community development
- Stimulate social interaction
- Encourage self-reliance
- Beautify neighborhoods
- Produce nutritious food
- Reduce family food budgets
- Conserve resources
- Create opportunity for recreation, exercise, therapy, and education
- Reduce crime
- Preserve green space
- Create income opportunities and economic development
- Reduce city heat from streets and parking lots
- Provide opportunities for intergenerational and cross-cultural connections
Currently there are 30 garden plots located on Valentine Road. Applications are posted on our website each fall for Northborough residents. Due to high demand, plots are issued by lottery. Those who had plots in the previous year are able to keep the same one if they pass in the application. All lots that are open will be put in a lottery for new applicants. Interested parties should complete the application form attached and mail it to the Recreation Department by the date posted. The lottery generally occurs in February of each year.
You must be a Northborough Resident or Northborough affiliated organization to apply. Please call the Recreation Department at 508-393-5034 if you have any questions.