This program is currently unavailable. Click here to view all of our current programs.
Northborough/Southborough/Westborough Recreation Departments are offering a co-ed Flag Football league for Grades K-7. This program is the perfect opportunity for a child to learn, or enhance, the fundamental skills of football in a safe and fun environment-with an emphasis on participation, teamwork, and good sportsmanship.
Grades K/1 will not have league play for this age group, it is instructional. Will meet Sundays, 6-7pm at Melican Middle School, taught by Marty Murphy.
Grades 2-7 will have practice on the first day of the session then games each week afterwards, see schedule below.
Flag Football Rules (Gr 2-7)
- Two, 20 minute halves, running time until the final minute of each half
- If there are an odd number of teams in a division, some teams may have doubleheaders, those games will be 15 minute halves, running time til the final minute of each half.
- 1 timeout per half (do not carry over)
- Game starts with coin flip or rock/paper/scissors, no defer, winner chooses offense or defense (loser chooses direction)
- Game is played 5 v 5, everyone is eligible to receive a pass
- Offense starts at the 5 yard line and has 4 downs to get to midfield and 4 downs to score
- Screen blocking only (cannot initiate contact)
- No punting or kickoffs, turnover on downs goes back to the 5 yard line unless intercepted. Ball stays where interceptor was deflagged
- No run zones five yards from endzone and 5 yards from midfield
- Anyone that rushes QB must be 7 yards behind line of scrimmage (second cone), any defensive player not rushing may line up at the line of scrimmage
- QB cannot run past the line of scrimmage unless they handoff
- Huddles should not last longer than 30 seconds
- No Flag Guarding, meaning no stiff arms and whacking away hands trying to pull the flag. Spinning is allowed
- If the ball is handed off, anyone can rush
- Only 1 player in motion at a time
- Offense is responsible for getting the ball
- Refs will be looking for holding (can’t grab a players shirt to de-flag them) pass interference, flag guarding, false start and offsides.
GRADES 2/3, TEAMS, COLORS, COACHES
TEAM N-GOLD, COACH LUKE FARRELL
TEAM N-GRAY, COACH ERIC LIN
Jaedon Paul Bouffard
Mateo Ethan Bouffard
TEAM N-RED, COACH JOE HOWE
GRADES 4/5, TEAMS, COLORS, COACHES
TEAM N-GOLD, COACH ROB LIN
N-GRAY, COACH JOE HOWE
N-RED, COACH MIKE ALTMAN
GRADES 6/7, TEAMS, COLORS, COACHES
TEAM N-GRAY, COACH RISH VOHORO
TEAM N-RED, COACH BRIAN HARVIE
Additional Forms and Files: